Sunday, July 5, 2009

A little bad, a little good, a small change to setup

My larger plant has some leaves turning yellow and turning off, maybe ten percent or so. The seller said that about 20% of the leaves falling off from transplant shock is normal, so I hope it's that. I noticed a lot less condensation in the inside of the bag, so I went against the sellers advice and opened the bag, added some more water and misted the plant. I hope this doesn't void my warranty!

On a better note, two of the seedlings have two structures now that I'm pretty sure will open into leaves. They've also grown a bit more, and they're apparently two or three times as tall as they should be (currently three inches each.) This gibberellic acid must be strong stuff. It's too bad that all of the others have either died back or shown no growth. I guess it's not too bad, I have two healthy seedlings, which is infinitely more than I expected.

I'm also changing the grow light setup. I'm replacing the compact with two 24 inch flourescent grow lights, and going to add mirrors around it later. I hope that with this, and the 2-3 hours of sun the ledge gets, I'll have enough light for everything.

2 comments:

  1. How much fruits does one plant make? Wouldn't it be better on a lon term to just buy some fruits or pills? I know www.sour2sweet.com has good prices. But I may be in no place to talk since I don't know the costs and full benefits of the plants and seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pills are definitely cheaper, and of course last a lot longer, but if I had an easy access to the fruit I'd prefer that, definitely. In our society, the cure to everything just seems to be drugs, drugs, drugs. A pill form of the fruit gets rid of a lot of the miracle it seems to me, though it still has the same effect, mostly. It just seems like another way to fool your body, but with the fruit it's just such a cool novelty. Though I have read that the fruit has a slightly better effect, the real reason to me would be that it's so much more natural. Of course, this is just my opinion. Plus, you can give them to a guest without telling them what it is, and coax them into eating a piece of this "amazing lemon I bought". You could NEVER do that with a pill.

    As for the amount of fruit, I really don't know yet. My plant has yet to recover from transplant shock, but I have read if you keep it in the correct conditions and you pollinate the flowers correctly, you can get around 50 fruit each flowering when it is 2-3 feet tall, though it also depends on foliage, root healthiness, and stem size. Mine is supposed to be at fruiting size so I hope I'll get some this season. (When I can get 20 at one time, though it will be a while, I'll use them for a gibberellic acid growth experiment.

    Of course, if you get one at fruiting size, you can look forward to even more fruits at each season. Who knows, you may even get one 4-5 feet tall and hundreds of berries at a time! I sure hope I do.

    And to answer another question, once you have a plant that can even have just a few berries hanging around all year, that would be better than the tablets. I imagine I don't even have a use for THAT many.

    ReplyDelete