Thursday, May 14, 2009

Finally.. done..

2-3 hours ago I posted that I was in middle of cleaning the seeds. This is in real time, people!

I found out just how difficult it was to clean the seeds, and five minutes ago I get an email from a expert saying that it isn't necessary. The first problem was GETTING THE PULP OFF. The part of the miracle fruit that gives the side effect is the pulp smothering the seed, and it's like glue. I first just soaked the seeds in warm water for 30 minutes, drained them, and dried them off. Nothing. Stays on, just does not come off. I've got the gibberellic acid ready, so I dip them in it just to help. I start to try and rub the pulp off with my gloves. Still no effect. After rubbing and rubbing and RUBBING I finally get one little seed cleaned slightly. Ugh.

Soon after this I wonder if I might try a less conventional idea. Why not try to just suck the pulp off? That's what you're supposed to do anyway when eating the fruit, so why not? I pop one into my mouth for a minute and swirl around. In a flash my brain realizes "The gibberellic acid. I already soaked the seeds in it." After spitting it out and running to the sink to drink some water, I think to myself: "Trying to plant a seed should not end up in my accidental death." So I have a bit of short-term memory loss. Does that mean I should drink synthetic plant growth hormones? No. Does it mean I did? Yes.

I think I already feel the roots growing!

Moving on from my almost-untimely demise, After maybe half an hour of rubbing I finish getting every last seed rubbed away. I soak the seeds in gibberellic acid for about half an hour more, and when the half hour is up (about 30 minutes ago) I drain the seeds, moisten the soil a bit more, and gently push one seed into each compartment. I scrunch it a bit down so it's just barely visible, and drip a few drops of the acid on it. For my mini greenhouse, I took a big paper towel and a cookie sheet, moistened it, put the pots in it, and I'll put it in the bathroom with a plastic sheet on top. The paper towel evaporates and adds the humidity it needs.

Now I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment