Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fulfilling these requirements





I put together a few ideas that many other people have had, but not combined. for the requirements of acidic, well draining soil, I have put together a 50-50 mix of canadian peat moss and perlite. the moss brings up acidity, and is a water rejecting soil, while the perlite helps the soil drain. (pictures enclosed)

for the micronutreints, I put a simple miraclegrow mix with light amounts of fertilizer and trace metals.

For the humidity and heat, I decided that placing them next to a shower would work the best, since I live in michigan where the climate is bipolar and has never stabilized. I figure that If I specifically make sure the hot water in the room gets turned on a couple of times a day, the room will get nice hot, and misty. For added humidity I will be putting a tray under the cache of seeds filled with pebbles and water.

The germinating part was and will be the most complicated portion of raising them. Miracle fruit seeds have a very low germination rate of about 24 percent, and since they are expensive and hard to find, for the people who care about this there is a bit of a less natural solution. Gibberelic acid is a synthetic plant growth hormone, that can increase germination rates like crazy when sprayed on a seed in 1000 parts per million concentration. I perchased some on unitednuclear.com, about two ounces for eight dollars, a very good price. I will soak the seeds before planting in it for a few minutes, and see how it helps. Over the entire experiment I will have one plant that I will specifically use a lot of gibberelic acid on and record the effects. pictures of it above.

No comments:

Post a Comment